Friday, July 12, 2013

Tell Your Children

TELL YOUR CHILDREN As a parent, I would tell my children stories about the sins of my youth. My purpose was to let them learn about the dire consequences that resulted from these mistakes. One example was riding my bicycle to town 5 miles away without letting my Mom know where I was. The reason for not telling her was my intention of doing something I knew she would disapprove of. On the way out of town, a car ran into my bicycle, causing me to fly off and break my jaw in two places. For six weeks I was unable to eat any solid food because of my teeth being wired together. That gave me several months to remember that “my sins would always find me out”. If we hide these stories from our children, they may need to learn all these lessons by personal experience. I remember my parents letting us know the trouble alcohol brought young people in their young growing up years. That is at least in part what motivated them to change churches with the hope that we would avoid that kind of temptation. It left a lasting impression on my life’s choices, and I have watched many people ruin their lives and families with their addiction to alcohol and drugs. The Bible teaches us to tell our children our stories in the hope that they will see the need of obeying the word of God. “Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.” Joel_1:3 KJV God chose this easy to understand method of passing the baton of a living testimony for truth to always be kept alive in Israel. God’s people are to hand down their witness for the gospel to their children and grandchildren. This is our first responsibility; we are to begin at the family table. The person is a bad preacher who does not start his ministry at home. We are to reach out to the unsaved by all means, but our own home should be our first priority. Woe to those who reverse the order of God’s plan. Teaching our children is a personal responsibility; we cannot delegate this to a Sunday school teacher or day care center. These people can help us, but it is first and foremost our duty to teach our children about the wonderful works of God. It should be an enjoyable thing for us to talk about Jesus to our sons and daughters. “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.” Celeste Sibley took her three children to a diner for breakfast one morning. It was crowded and they had to take separate seats at the counter. Eight-year-old Mary was seated at the far end of the counter and when her food was served she called down to her mother in a loud voice, "Mother, don't people say grace in this place?" A hush came over the entire diner and before Mrs. Sibley could figure out what to say, the counterman said, "Yes, we do, sister. You say it." All the people at the counter bowed their heads. Mary bowed her head and in a clear voice said, "God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food." God blessed me with parents who told me about Jesus and the stories of how God worked in their lives. Will you join me and Celeste Sibley in passing on to the next generation our stories of how God has worked in our lives? God instructs us through Joel tell our children. Alvin Yoder 7/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment